Wednesday, June 6, 2012

On my Own----- There is hope!

ON MY OWN-------YEAH??????     
The following was written before the Wisconsin Governor  Walker Recall vote.
Remember President Obama’s speech declaring that if Republicans are elected the people of the US would be on their own?
 The Insinuation: Sick people would die. Old people would die. Kids with illness would die. Kids would not be educated. Bridges would collapse. Etc.
 Perhaps I overstated, but that was my impression of the point he was making. The Dems had just shown a TV add where an old woman in a wheel chair was shoved off a cliff by a Republican
I was born a few years before the start of the big recession. My family was frequently cold and hungry but we survived. My mother and my aunts worked as servants for the owners of a Coal Company. We were despised “Shanty Irish”.
I started working when I was ten, searching through a junk yard dump heap for metal to sell to a junk dealer for pennies.
At fourteen I got my first paying job as a dish washer and clean up boy in a restaurant.
At eighteen I was in the military and at twenty had my first real job as a mechanical draftsman
While married and raising a family I commuted sixty miles to night school for eight years and earned an engineering degree.
While working full time for two corporations I bought or started six small businesses,
At age forty nine I resigned from my day job and worked sixteen hours a day, seven days a week, running my own businesses.
Along the way I contributed my share of taxes to many government agencies, the last being a huge Capital gains tax when I sold my businesses and retired.
My great employees earned salaries and paid taxes.
In total my businesses paid governments more in fees and taxes than I made in profit!
I’m still on my own, living on a fixed income, trying to survive on money I saved and invested.
The huge cost of living increase caused by skyrocketing price of food and gasoline has caused concern about my future. My retirement money is being rapidly depleted because of the rapid price hikes.
Still, I’m proud that I gave been on my own for most of my life.

Notice all the “I’S in the preceding?
I was on my own, working hard to fulfill my dreams.

So, Mister President, why can’t everybody be “on their own”?
I know some people will always need help but:
Why is my future threatened because I am paying for people who receive government dollars (my tax money) who are:
Too lazy to get out of bed and get a job.
Fat, drunk, or on drugs and therefore are “handicapped” and get paid for not working
Have a government do nothing “Job”
Get freebies like Cell Phones
Get Government subsidized housing and food stamps without being required to work.

I understand the politics and that the Gimmee people will vote to keep providers in office.
The Gimmee people who are given everything they need to survive have no motivation to work.
Your statement that people who disagree with you are misinformed (Stupid) was an insult.
I will always voluntarily contribute time and money to private organizations that help people who really need help.
As a comedian recently said:
“I will help buy a safety net…..but I don’t want to buy somebody a hammock.”
We will know after the next election if the USA will survive.
Just in case, I’m looking for a place to go where I can still be:
ON MY OWM.
Note: June 6, 2012
There is hope—Thank you Wisconsin Governor Walker.


No comments:

Post a Comment